Friday, February 10, 2012

A Positive Outlook and a Poison Warning

I had my last pre-chemo meeting with my oncologist yesterday and we all left (Mom, Brian and I) feeling optimistic. I appreciate how my doctor jokes with us and really focuses on moving forward with a positive outlook. We don't talk worst case scenario ever. I will sit through my last full chemo treatment this morning!! I can't believe it has been over 18 weeks. I knew it would go quick, but that is an understatement. Dr. Sadar scheduled my next steps with an MRI and an ultrasound in two weeks. This will give round 6 time to show any effects. Once these tests can be read, the surgeon will evaluate for the next step. Surgery, chemo and radiation are the standard of care in treating my type cancer so since we chose to do chemo first, surgery will be the next step.

Dr. Sadar told a story of a young woman he treated over the last 6 months and after her 6 treatments they went in to find it was ALL gone. That is the hope and has been the prayer of many, many people over the last months (family, friends, coworkers, and even students). When talking about the next steps this is what the doctor believes as well. We can only wait and see :-) One more treatment and as the nurse hangs the bags, Sarah will give it her chemo blessing...."Now do your job!"

He closed the appointment with some advice for Brian:

Dr. Sadar: "Brian if you are ever trying to get rid of Danielle, poison would not be the choice. She takes poison really well :-)"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cousin,

    Sorry it took me so long to join your blog.I was just forwarded the link. I've been praying for you and your family and I know you're going to make a 100 percent recovery. Please call me if you need anything. I know it's been a while since we have spoken, but please dont hesitate to call. My number is 916-289-3684. Take care!

    Love,
    Daniel Rossi

    ReplyDelete