I know, I know it's a bad analogy.
People keep asking me what radiation is like. Each day I sit there thinking what can I compare it to and all I keep thinking about is.......Starbucks.
I think when they designed the beautiful Kaiser Radiation Oncology Center they were hoping you would say it's like a spa. It is decorated in wood and glass (very zen). There are men's and women's dressing rooms with lockers, waiting rooms and gowns to change into. I want to think my daily appointment is like a trip to the spa, but I still can't take my mind off of the fact that the 5 minute radiation treatment is far less like a massage, pedicure, or hairdo and far more like getting a cup of coffee.
Why radiation is like Starbucks:
You go there almost everyday.
You're in and out. I can be back to my car in 11 minutes (yes I change fast :-).
Once you've been there consistently for about a week, they know your name.
They know your name, but the experience is so quick they don't know much else about you.
You see some of the same people everyday and you say hello, but not much more than that.
My son sent me your blog - thanks. I love the simplicity of your style. I am always confused why some blogs (which are either silly, strident or nonsensical) get lots of readers and others which are substantive and reflective don't get the attention they should.
ReplyDelete