Saturday, April 21, 2012

One Month Post Surgery

When we first met with the surgeon, my mom asked what we should prepare for in regards to recovery.  He said that recovery would be, "a whole lot easier than what I had been through with chemo".  We were skeptical.  How could you remove a piece of my body and just bounce back?  I had surgery on March 15 and on April 15th we were finally able to celebrate Brian's birthday at the Tomales Bay Oyster Company.  On this gorgeous April day, I sat surrounded by family and our closest friends reflecting on the fact that one month prior I was sitting in a hospital bed. I never expected that I would be here.


Brian and I discovered the Tomales Bay Oyster company on our 10th anniversary trip last June.  The TBOC offers oysters, clams and mussels for sale along with about 5 other items (briquets, lemons, and sauce).  There are picnic tables with BBQs for you to bring a picnic and enjoy your day.  We knew from the first time we visited here that we needed to bring a group of family and friends.  We had to reschedule once for rain, but it ended up being a PERFECT day.  Everyone brought a salad or snack to share and Brian brought 3 sauces to dress the oysters.  We had BBQ oysters, sweet chili oysters and a mignonette for raw oyster shooters.  

Along with the 18 adults, we had 8 children under the age of 10 which you know can be disastrous at a party.  These kids played so well together.  They made sand castles, collected shells and played in the water.  Of course, Chase was the first to take a full body dive into the water and have to change into dry clothes.  The tide went out quite a bit from the time we got there so the children began to explore further and further down the beach.  Our second minor casualty came when Jack went face first into the mud about 50 yards out.  After much encouragement, it was obvious that he wasn't getting up on his own.  I started to walk out into the mud to help him when I quickly realized the mud was very sticky and my shoes were getting stuck.  We were all laughing at the point and Jack still hadn't moved from face first in the mud.  Brian came to the rescue, sacrificing his sandals and saved the day.  When he reached Jack, we heard a round of applause, not just from our group but the entire crowd was watching this ordeal.  Quite embarrassing, but a great memory!!


Everyone agreed that this was definitely the First Annual Tomales Bay Oyster day, it was quite a success!!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment