I was given all of this information just after diagnosis and right before starting my chemo battle. Hearing that at 32 not only was I facing breast cancer, but also a possible hysterectomy was a little too much for me at the time. I put it on the back burner because the results would not influence the oncologist's plan for treatment. Once I finished chemo, I went ahead and followed through and sent my blood to Utah. With my medical luck the last year part of me thought the results would come back positive and this would be another battle to fight.
On the morning of surgery I received a call and email that the results had come back........
I tested negative for both gene mutations.
This doesn't give us an answer to "WHY" I got breast cancer so young, but it does eliminate the need for a hysterectomy. Although, we don't know if we are done having children it doesn't close that door completely. It also doesn't put the woman in my family tree (cousins, aunts, grandparents) in the position where they have to decide whether to get tested. If I was positive, the woman in my family would have the ability to be tested to see if they carried the gene mutation as well. This is an issue you may have seen in the media lately the quandary of whether or not you would want to know if you are more likely to get cancer.
Regardless, it is NEGATIVE. This is one battle that stops here! Woo Hoo!

No comments:
Post a Comment