Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's All Pink Ribbons, Inside and Out!

Getting diagnosed with Breast Cancer in October is bittersweet! There are pink ribbons everywhere, people are so aware, and everyone is talking about the rates and survival of breast cancer patients. On the other hand, it's everywhere shirts at Old Navy, pink shirts on all the docs at Kaiser, and even breast cancer ribbon bagels at Panera which doesn't give you much space to not think about it for awhile :-)

Yesterday, I went in for my ultrasound so they could further define the tumors they found on the MRI. They found 4 small tumors with the largest being closest to my armpit and moving in a line towards the center. They performed a needle biopsy to take pre-chemo samples from 2 of the 4. No, I wasn't expecting to be given local anesthesia, and have many small samples taken out, but I rolled with it. After taking samples, they put two small markers in tumor 4 and tumor 2. They are too small to see to the eye, but will provide a marker for my post-chemo scans. In a best case scenario, after chemo the tumors will be undetectable. These small markers will provide a point for the doctor to say, "It was there."

One marker looks like a small coil. The other marker looks like a Breast Cancer Ribbon.

So it looks like I will be sporting my breast cancer ribbon whether I am wearing pink or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment