Monday, April 30, 2012

Great Food=New Gym

From the moment that I was diagnosed, our house has been flooded with amazing meals from family and friends.  Sarah set up the Meal Train and we received over 60 meals delivered to our house.  People were amazing and the meals were incredible.   Everyone went above and beyond.  They came with homemade dressings, warm bread, tortillas, and.......... dessert.  They kept us nourished.  They kept us going.  They are one of the reasons we moved so easily through this trying time.

Fast forward to present day.  I have had to tell Jack that he doesn't get a visitor every evening at 5 and dessert DOES not come with every meal.  

We were spoiled.  
We indulged.  
We rejoined the gym (ha ha ha).

I have always enjoyed working out (it compliments loving good food).  I had just completed a half marathon when I was diagnosed, but starting treatment left me void of energy and working out was the first thing go.  So once I had the green light from the surgeon, I investigated the gyms in my area.  I was intrigued with the new $10/month gyms and joined Planet Fitness on Sunrise. I was gung-hu that 4 weeks after surgery I would be able to be back in the gym.

Enter in new problem...... dressing for the gym.

In my day to day life, I have hats, sweatshirts, and a new prosthesis.  At the gym, it's just me.  No hair, no boob, nowhere to hide.  The first few days I wore my hat, but it was just too hot.  So I had to get brave!

Brian asked, "Do you think people are looking at you?"

I said, "Of course, everyone looks at everyone at the gym."

So, I now have a newfound admiration of those that get to the gym when it's not easy.  The 80 year old woman completing the circuit class.  The very overweight teenager who got dressed and came to the gym even though it may have been easier to stay at home.  The man in a wheelchair lifting arm weights.

So I go, I am sure people wonder and if they are brave enough to ask I will tell them!  For now, it's lots of cardio and a few weights to get back at it :-)


1 comment: