Friday, March 2, 2012

And Then There Was One!!!!

I had my sixth full chemo treatment on February 10, 2012. This concluded the first part of the treatment plan. I was excited to be done with the 2 1/2 hour treatments once every three weeks, but I was most excited to see the effects the drugs had had on the CANCER!!!!


The breast ultrasound was the test that finally discovered the 4 tumors originally so that was the starting point. We went in for the ultrasound and actually had the same tech we had back in October. She is a breast cancer survivor and was so personable. She quietly scanned the area and then got up to go check the results with the radiologist. She came back to share with us that out of the four tumors she could only find 1!!!! She also said that the underarm lymph nodes that they could identify before had no signs of cancer.

Wow! 1!

Excitement!

Relief!

Confirmation for all the hard work!

But.......what did that mean?

I knew going into my treatment plan that there were three steps in treatment of my type of breast cancer (and its' stage). The usual treatment plan is surgery (to remove tumors), chemo (to treat the entire body), and radiation (to clean up the area). I was young, had no family history, and the cancer was stage 3. The doctor felt that starting with surgery would give the cancer time to spread (something that we couldn't have). So the chemo and the surgery were flip flopped in my case. Dr. Sadar reminded me that even in the best case scenario there would be surgery.

So the next question....... what type?

No comments:

Post a Comment