The first line, "I was diagnosed with cancer" is still hard to get out so my first thought was to send an email and then offer a question and answer session, but it just didn't feel write for families and students I was so close to to open an email to this news. I had a social meeting at Sky High planned for this final week before break. While the students were jumping, I gathered the parents. I told them the story, and they were more than supportive. Like everyone, they wanted to know what they could do to support me.......meals, grading, rides, etc. They were astonished as everyone is when they hear the news.
Next it was on to the students........half of the students have been with me for the last two years. We are close. We meet weekly, SKYPE and talk online. We have a very unique relationships with our students at Visions. We are involved in their lives and know them so it was like telling my kids :-) I explained the situation and my plan for getting better. They were astonished. I handed each one a Team Dani bracelet and told my teenage boys, "I know it's pink you don't have to wear it :-)". They immediately put them on and slowly one by one gave me a hug (yes a sweaty post jumping hug).
I got incredible emails of support and phone calls too! Today I signed on to our EDGE social network (very similar to facebook, but private to our group) and this is what I found.
When I first met you,
there was a happy presence,
you had a sunny essence.
You lit up the room,
Brought cheer and smiles,
kicked out the gloom,
made us feel like we had gone miles.
I was so happy when I found out I was to be in your team,
I knew you were nice
I saw a glimmer a gleam.
If I had to choose a way to describe you,
A drop of sun would come to mind,
I’ve only known you for a handful of moments,
But I do know you are the best at being kind.
I really think this ordeal is undeserved and uncanny,
So here I will stand,
rooting for team Dani
there was a happy presence,
you had a sunny essence.
You lit up the room,
Brought cheer and smiles,
kicked out the gloom,
made us feel like we had gone miles.
I was so happy when I found out I was to be in your team,
I knew you were nice
I saw a glimmer a gleam.
If I had to choose a way to describe you,
A drop of sun would come to mind,
I’ve only known you for a handful of moments,
But I do know you are the best at being kind.
I really think this ordeal is undeserved and uncanny,
So here I will stand,
rooting for team Dani
--Mateo (9th grade boy)
Team Dani!!! We love you Danielle! Danielle stands for: Delightful, Ambitious, Noble, Insightful, Excellent, Loving, Laughing, Extra-special-teacher! <3
--Sophia (9th grade girl)
I know I say it a lot, but lucky, loved and soooooooo supported!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment