It was a long weekend for Brian and I with Veterans Day off on Friday. I was feeling good so I kept bugging him about "doing something fun" this weekend. I mean 3 days with no plans, we had to put something on the books. I mentioned the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, a hike, the Railroad Museum....... and I just couldn't get him to commit. Annoyed, I decided to take it into my own hands and get a babysitter for Saturday night. He quickly told me he had plans for the night, and I better have my dancing shoes on :-)
I woke up very tired on Saturday......might have been my 1 year old breaking his eye teeth and crying for an hour in the middle of the night and then deciding 5 am was a great time for a party! Brian took the boys and I slept the WHOLE day. My Dad and Sandy came over around 3 and I got ready for the night (of course avoiding my hair). Brian got home at 3:30 and was stalling on our departure.........I was of course frustrated. I was ready, he was ready, the bike was ready, what are we waiting for? He said he had reservations. Hmmmm! Not his style, but ok. I finally told him, let's go and he said we needed to stop for a drink on the way there. We would be too early for our reservations and it was a little chilly to just ride for longer.
We stopped for a drink, little fishy, but I still didn't think much of it. My only thought was that Krissie had invited me for a girls dinner, but the time was throwing me off. When we typically go out, it isn't until 7 or 7:30 so we can help get kids down and I couldn't imagine Brian just dropping me off there. We rode the motorcycle downtown and headed towards River Road. The motorcycle was his saving grace because there wasn't time for my incessant questioning about the night. He did lean back and say we were headed to sushi on the river, but suddenly we pulled into Chevy's on the River and when I opened the door I was greeted with.........
THIS!!!
My friends had pulled off a major surprise! There were 25+ women in my life gathered to celebrate this journey I am on and show their support. They were decked out in crazy hats and pink feather boas. There were friends from high school I hadn't seen in years, friends from mom's groups, friends from growing up. They offered encouragement and reiterated their support! We drank margaritas and had appetizers. We created a scene (which we like to do!).
I felt loved.
I felt supported.
I felt lucky.
I know that this is only a small portion of the people that are behind me and I thank all of you. This is how I am getting through it. Friends, family and their words of encouragement, cards, amazing meals and calls that keep me focused on getting better.
It will be a long journey, but I am not on it alone.......and this makes it much easier to face.
Wow Danielle, this moves me to tears. I am so glad you have so much support. Even though I am not near to you, I am ALWAYS here with my "listening ears" if you need to talk, laugh, cry, vent about being up all night with sick babies!" Whatever it is Danielle, I would drop anything and be there. Just so you know, we love you and we're here!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great night!!
xoxo
A.